Friday 8 April 2011

Food!

I have recently been very experimental in the kitchen.  I have tried throwing different ingredients together to see what works and hoping, praying that no one died after I fed them. 

My two latest recipes are for a potato bake and king prawn noodles. 

Potato Bake

I used 2 Kg of potatoes.  I washed, peeled and sliced them into fairly sizeable slices and I put them in a pot of milk and salt and left to simmer for 10-12 minutes.

MAKE SURE THEY DO NOT GO TOO SOFT!

While the potatoes were simmering I made the tomato sauce to go with it.  I chopped two shallots and finely sliced garlic and lightly fried it in olive oil (low heat) for about 5 minutes adding mixed herbs, a pinch of cumin and coriander.  Leave to cook until the shallots change colour.  Make sure you stir every few minutes.  Meanwhile, chop around 8 tomatoes into chunks.  Before adding the tomatoes add a heaped tablespoon of flour to the onion/garlic mix.  Stir well.  Add all the tomatoes and a splash of water.  Let it simmer.

Take potatoes off the heat and drain the milk out.  Let it stand.  Grease an oven dish (I use Lurpak) and once the potatoes have cooled place on the base of the dish. 

The tomatoes sauce should be stirred and seasoned well with salt and pepper.  The herbs should run through the shallots but add more if need be.  Squeeze half a lemon and a splash of balsamic vinegar into the sauce and stir well.  The sauce should be relatively thick and tangy.  Pour onto the potatoes and then add mozzarella cheese on top and place into the oven at 180 (degrees) for 35 – 40 minutes. 

Enjoy!

King Prawn Noodles

This is actually very easy to make.  Thinly slice garlic, ginger and spring onions and place into a wok with stir fry oil on a high heat.  Season this with some salt and pepper and a heaped teaspoon of red pesto.  Let this cook while I got the prawns into a bowl and washed them.  Add ¾ of a cup of boiling water to the garlic/ginger/spring onion and tasted it for seasoning.  Add the kind prawns and chili flakes squeeze a lemon and add its juice and let it all cook. 

Meanwhile take out egg noodles and put it to boil for 4-6 minutes.

Drain the noodles when they have cooked and add to the wok.  Make sure the noodles soaks up all the flavour. 

I had made this concoction as I had run out of stir fry mix and I did not want the prawns to go off.  It was actually really simple and quite appetising. 

Buon appetito!


Much love,

Jackson L.

2 comments:

  1. Not Hell's Kitchen, Saddam's Kitchen!!! Sorry for that unfortunate rascism, I can back you up man everything you cooked for me was awesome welles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha - yeah Saddam used to torture me if I did anything wrong. I'm sure u would enjoy some of the stuff I can conjure up now. I have a more developed pallet now.

    Much Love,

    JAckson L.

    ReplyDelete