Friday 8 April 2011

....and now for something completely different.

I have been considering taking a year to do something different.  I feel it is time to put my academic career on the backburner for a while so that I can focus on other things that I feel should be done while one is still young.  There are several things I am planning on doing:-

Travelling

Seeing our beautiful world is something everyone who can should try to experience.  There are many wonders to admire, old and new, and I would like to start by voyaging to the Far East.  I will hopefully be looking to travel to China, Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia for a few weeks.  I find the culture of these far away lands fascinating and I am enthused by their different take on life and attitude towards it too. 

China would be remarkable as it is one of the oldest civilizations in the world and its history and heritage is loaded with many spectacles; from the Terracotta Warriors to the Great Wall of China not to mention the blend of incredibly modern productions that have grabbed media’s attention in recent times showing the seamless might of Chinese engineering and craftsmanship.  Shanghai is, for me, a modern wonder of the world – that skyline – beyond epic. 

Thailand is another area of great interest.  If Thailand was a person attending a party, they would be the heart and soul and so much more of that party.  For a small country it bares majesty in all aspects of its being; history, culture, buildings, wildlife, food and not to mention what most people know it most for – partying.  Full and half moon parties at the beach will be one of the best parties ever. 

Vietnam and Cambodia are countries neighbouring Thailand.  Vietnam still proudly shows remnants of the war with the USA – particularly in Saigon - and the civil war which lead to USA’s involvement.  Although, this may be a depressing reminder to how destructive humans can be; it will be quickly forgotten I’m sure when one sees Ho Chi Minh.  It would also be astonishing to trek through jungle terrain and witness nature at its most extreme. 

Cambodia is a place which was, like too many countries, have been tormented by a tyranic dictator - Pol Pot.  He was a 'leader' who killed nearly 1/5th of his own people and the killing fields can be seen in Phnom Penh.  Torture devices can still be seen in museums in Cambodia today.  Elephant trekking is also a popular activity for tourists.  The main attraction for me would be the imposing temples that were built centuries ago.

All these places would require several weeks of travel but, it would be well worth it.  I am going to try and get my friend, Brian Fox, involved in it. 

Charity

I will also look to do some charity events.  I was involved in a charity event last year where I had to set up a rugby tournament and really get all my rugby contacts to come together to make a day of it.  I set up a sevens tournament where we got 3 rugby pitches, 12 rugby teams and there we had a 7s tournament.  It was great weather; great fun and all the proceeds went towards the Haiti appeal.  We managed to raise nearly £4000.  This has given me the impetus to be a little more charitable as it is easier than people think.  You don’t have to break the bank to be benevolent….you just need to put yourself through hell.  I am looking to run the London marathon in 2012.  It will be grueling and painful and at times boring, though it will be something I could say I have experienced once and maybe never again!  Also, the training for it has not been too bad...so far. 

I would also very much like to cycle from London to Paris.  This is a 5 day trip (4 days of cycling) and it will be a great way to see the deep south of England where you cycle through London as it begins to liven up from what seems like a light snooze very early in the morning then through Kent, the garden of England and through to Dover where we will get our ferry across to Calais and we will then cycle through Northern France where we will see many tranquil villages.  Also, we can stop at the battle ground of the Somme.  It has been described as eerie and unnatural place by those who have done this trip. 

I do hope I get to do these things.  My training for these began months ago when I was told the Marathon was fully booked for this year so I thought –

Why not start training now?

Humanitarian

I would very much like to go work in Japan to do some relief work, hopefully in conjunction with the UN of Amnesty International (preferably the latter…everyone seems to work for the UN).  I have been looking online to see if there is any scope for that and for the moment it appears not – for the untrained international anyway.  I was devastated for the Japanese.  They are an intelligent race of humble, kind people and seeing the footage and people breaking down when they found their loved ones missing was distressing for me. 

I certainly hope all goes to plan for my time off trying to fill my brain with information that I will probably not really use. 

Much love,

Jackson L.

2 comments: