Wednesday 25 May 2011

The Doctor will see you now....

I love it when people have a somewhat condescending and patronising manner with you when they have no idea what you are capable of.  Today at the work place we had a patient come in and he was about to have his heart screened for any diseases – genetic or otherwise.  I took one look at the guy and thought, there may be something very wrong with him because he does not look like he gets much exercise and from his skin complexion as well as his rotund gut, his diet did not look any better.  While we were waiting to set up his free of charge screening session, I thought I would entertain him with some casual conversation. 

ME: Hello, what’s your name?

PATIENT: My name is …………………

ME: I’m Jackson.  I’m just going to explain one or two things that will happen here.  *Proceeded to explain*

PATIENT: Ok.

ME: Good.  Ok, it looks like the team is nearly ready to carry out your screening.  They will need another 5 minutes.

*Awkward silence ensues*

Once again, trying to just make time pass a little quicker, I continued with the small talk.

ME: So what would you usually be doing if you weren’t in here?  Did you take time off work?

PATIENT: No actually I’m a student and I just finished my exams.

ME: Oh, cool!  Must be a great feeling, I would know, I have been there a few times before.  What is it you are studying? 

PATIENT: Computer games graphics. 

ME: That sounds SO cool.  I used to be well into a lot of games – I still am at heart. 

PATIENT: Yeah, I would not have had you down as that type…..

ME: Yeah, don’t let the ‘mature’ façade fool you…hahaha.

PATIENT: No, I just thought you were one of those annoyingly popular athletic types who tries to be everyone’s friend and knows nothing of other people’s business but pretends to.  You probably also think owning a playstation and playing FIFA makes you a ‘gamer at heart’ but it really doesn’t!

Not knowing what to say and at this point both my supervisor and 2 nurses walk in and this total douchebag gives a smirk as if to say ‘I got you now….you can’t say anything back!’.

The hell I won’t!” was my exact sentiment at this point. 

ME: Looking athletic compared to you really is not that big a compliment though I thank you for it anyway.  I am far from one of those people who try to be popular and be everyone’s friend – and even if I was you would be very far down the pecking order, so I urge you not to flatter yourself.  There is nothing wrong with playing FIFA and also, I may not be a real gamer at heart but at least I don’t think I am a 6’4 Olympian or an undefeated cage fighting god when in reality I am actually stuck behind the confines of a computer screen chowing down on some lard sandwiches.  Anyway, here is the staff to carry out your screening. 

I returned the silly dickheaded smirk he gave me and left the room – opponent left with a dropped jaw, my pride firmly intact, reasons for needlessly attacking me neutralised. 

Oxbridge niceties from Jackson Logan Quade tend to be a rare occurrence so one must cherish these moments as they come.  This patient decided to have a go at me for no apparent reason….audacious prick! 

My advisor caught up with me later on and told me that the patient thought I was very rude.  Of course he only explained his side of the story.  I told him and the nurses my side and we all then had a bit of a laugh.  The story spread like wildfire I am now considered rather heroic in the office now because I stood my ground.  Everyone has been asking me about it.  Badass baby! Even the Professor (who I am in love with) said it was ballsy. 

It is funny how he thought that I would not shoot him down as he seemed to think he was protected by the team that had walked in.  I don’t think it could have gone any better at all.  He thought he had me sussed when in actuality he was not very close.  I am glad I brought him down a peg or two and everyone seems to agree with my actions.  I was actually surprised I was not harsher.

Needless to say – as I had suspected – he was hypertensive and he was advised to lose weight, exercise and eat healthier. 

There are sometimes when you need to stoop to other people’s (lower) levels – and sometimes even lower…..and drag them down with you(!) – in order to knock people off their high horse. 

Never let others bring you down. 

Much love,

Jackson L.

1 comment: