Tuesday 29 March 2011

A social experiment.

I have watched a video on youtube - one of those very well made, feel good ones - Free Hugs Campaign....because hugs are taxed!!  But, on a serious note, it was a great idea because it was a simple one.  There is always a vulnerable individual who just wants a reassuring hug....I'm not really the hugging type.  I hug people but I don't really get nearly as much satisfaction out of them as others seem to.  I don't feel better or worse after a hug.  However, there are those that do and therefore, it was a genius idea.

I find that I prefer to just sit and chat about anything and everything when I am feeling a little down.  I can converse about anything at all and I feel it is an art which is lost.  People tend to just go about their own business and keep themselves to themselves or resort to hysterically annoying mediums of communications such as a grammerless blurb of text via a text message, facebook comments and twitter, not to mention telephone conversations, though I hope I am not alone when I say it is not the same as actually talking to someone in person.  Don't get me wrong, I think that facebook and twitter are great ways to keep up with the latest nevertheless, it appears that many have adopted it as their main port of communications.  I have even received a text from people in the same room as me! 

It is ironic that even with all these means of communication conversation is an art which is dying a slow death....who would have thought that facebook and twitter could have been a cause? 

After watching that video and some brainstorming, I thought would it not be a great idea to get an old couch, a few flasks of tea and coffee (and milk), sugar, biscuits, a coffee table and a massive sign advertising "FREE CHAT" and sit it all in a public setting and see what happens?  I know it may seem like a lot to put together but, it could be fun.

Much love,

Jackson L.

No comments:

Post a Comment