Wednesday 7 September 2011

Invictus

I know this may be a cliche but the poem 'Invictus' by William Ernest Henely is one of the most inspiring poems ever.  Especially when it is read by Morgan Freeman in the film 'Invictus' directed by Clint Eastwood.

Nelson Mandella would actually refer to this poem when he was in prison.  He came out to unify South Africa after decades of Apatheid regime left it crippled.  He is hailed as one of the greatest world leaders in modern history if not thee greatest.


Invictus
by William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
So deep.  So moving.  Powerful and poignant and I too often refer to it too.  
In reference to this movie - based on the occasion of the Rugby World Cup - we have only 2 days before the beginning of 2011 Rugby world Cup in New Zealand.  The first game is going to be shown at 8.30AM on ITV - New Zealand versus Tonga.  Both teams perform a pre-match war-dance  known as a Haka.  Expect fireworks!!!

Much love, 

Jackson L. 

No comments:

Post a Comment