Thursday 27 January 2011

So to thee we bid farewell.

Well there is a lot of speculation recently over the sexist remarks made by certain football pundits.  From my understanding this was all off the record but, they left the microphones on and others heard what was said.

The main culprit was a man named Andy Gray whom, for the last 15 or so years, worked as a football commentator/pundit for Sky Sports giving his personal ‘informative’ views and observations on Barclays Premiership football matches.  He is a Glaswegian man who was a former football player himself and he made the mistake of saying:

What the fuck does a woman know about the offside rule?!

This in effect killed his career and he will forever be known as the sexist guy that said this rather than be remembered for some of the ridiculous quips he has uttered during his years commentating.  He has now indeed been sacked for further allegations of sexism.  I for one think – good riddance to bad rubbish.  My facebook was littered with these total retards saying “football will never be the same again” or “Sky has really fucked this up now!” and the best one yet, “He was the voice of English football” (a Scottish man, by the way….a SCOTTISH man….).  He was a total knob who persistently spoke shit ALL. THE. TIME.  So I am very happy he is leaving and will hopefully be replaced by someone with informative opinions on football, also, with a less annoying face.  He will not be missed by me.  If anything, it will make me enjoy football more.  My football renaissance has been a recent affair but I always thought that Andy Gray was even less competent than I was! Bold statement you say?  Well I say shut up! Bitch!

Having said that, I do feel it was a very harsh sacking.  I know what was said was very sexist and a man in his position, a nationwide well known commentator, should not say such things but, lets face it, we were all thinking it.  Not only were we all thinking it, it is just something that goes with the culture of proper football.  Any sport really.  Especially a team sport where you go watch with a bunch of mates.  You just act like a bunch of delinquents because you are with the ‘lads’!  This is what football comes with.  It is more than just a sport to watch for a lot of men.  It is a social call, once or twice in a week, for men to get together and leave their WAGs behind to just do something manly.  It is an opportunity to just hang out with mates and not worry about the missus for a few hours. 

In addition to this, call me a traditionalist, but I don’t believe that women belong in that level of professional sport.  It has always been a job for a man. It is just, in my opinion, a pathetic attempt at women trying to worm their way in to a mania that is predominantly male orientated.  It’s just a little wide of the mark.  Don’t get me wrong, I have played a lot of rugby in my time and also seen female referees, played one or two games with a female referee controlling the game and did so very well, I might add! But, still, it was just weird.  I have played games where male referees make mistakes that can change the dynamics of a game and it’s been bittersweet.  They are only human and unfortunately, even the best of refs make wrong decisions – look at Blackpool v Man U the other day.  That was a definite penalty.  It could have altered the game completely! Being 3-0 down would have been very hard to come back from, if of course the penalty was converted to a goal.  So, my point is, it is not the issue that men think women are more likely to make some mistakes in their decision making as even professional referees make big mistakes, even on a world stage – Graham Poll – AHEM!  Studies have shown that men are generally happier when they do not need to take orders or let women make ALL the decisive calls in their life.  So if they are looking to get away from their women for a Sunday league game and turn up to find a woman referee?  It will get a little disconcerting, no? 

This also brings me nicely onto my next point.  I have seen several adverts on TV now that are clearly made by women with slight sexist undertones.  One of which was a drug which helped women ease their period pain during their cycle and made the inference that the male companion was a pain.  Hmm….. Also, there was a tissue advert a few years ago for klennex ‘man sized tissues’.  Sat around a table were 4 women, presumably spending all their spouses’ hard earned cash as it was during the day (GET A JOB!) and they all had a cold.  Aww… One asked “Why are they called ‘man sized tissues’?” and the rest began listing the qualities ending with “thick”.  What kind of insinuation is that?  If we look through history and look to see the world’s smartest people we will find that Stephen Hawking is one of the world’s if not, THEE world’s smartest person.  Before him?  Well, I think there was a guy called Albert Einstein?  I’m not sure, because I’m so thick, of course, but I don’t think they are women.  Just saying.  Also, I must now take the opportunity to remind myself to breath because I can’t do too many tasks at the same time! Furthermore, Sheila’s wheels!  Yeah, if there was a version of that for males called Dave’s insurance deals on wheels, there would be a fucking HUGE up roar!  Much like if there was a MOWOs like the MOBOs.  Just like black people can be inherently racist, women are needlessly sexist and expect us not to be sexist back.  Well that’s not going to happen!  Women, it was not personal but, men generally know football better than women.  It is not sexist, it is fact.  Just like women are better at multi-tasking than men it is not sexist!  If there was a recruitment drive for doctors to work in a new hospital and there was an aptitude and a competence test to take, you are, or you should, hire the best there is for the job.  Not hire based on gender.  By that token, leave football to the men.

Imagine a women getting offended about being told she doesn’t know the offside rule!  It was a harsh sacking. I think the guy is a dick and I still thought it was harsh.  Some people just need to get a sense of humour. 

Anyways, I’m glad he’s not there anymore!

Much love,

Jackson L. 

No comments:

Post a Comment