Wednesday 19 October 2011

I have sold out!!!


So, I have indeed sold out.  For the past month I have involved myself in an intense research project with a view to conclude on the potency of supplementation in sport.  Protein shakes, recovery drinks, fat burners, creatine, testosterone supplements – all befall a multi-million pound a year cluster fuck.  So many companies with a foothold in this business convince you that they have research to back up their product and we, the blind consumer, are taken in and engulfed by the basic science that they offer within their blurb concluding that their product is the most life changing, awesome, lose-14-stone-of-fat, gain-a-thousands-kilos-of muscle-with-a-vein-ridden-six-pack.  Of course, we think that all our time in the gym is a complete waste without said product and we buy it and with all our vigour become an everyday, run of the mill muscle bound dickhead that is so hell bent on working every muscle in your body that you would even exercise your pelvic girdle with the most stupid, painstaking exercises imaginable…..I know I have become all these things. 

Regardless, it has been known that people who take supplements do tend to exercise harder – subconsciously – so that they get more ‘bang for their buck’.  Indeed, if people worked out just as hard without the supplements would the gains be so magnificent?

This is what the research is trying to answer.  The study is a blind study meaning the participants of the study – myself and many others – are given a specific supplement (in my case 4!), being either; a protein shake, carbohydrate drink, creatine, fat burners and recovery drinks.  And of course a placebo. 

Given my symptoms – pre, during and post consumption and during my work out – I suspected I was most definitely not on any placebo which I was a little disappointed in.  Reasons as to my discontent and hence my selling out is due to my intense disbelief in these supplements working as these sports nutrition companies – who get Olympic medal winners and other elite athletes to endorse them because some muhfuckas looking for cash muney – say they do.  For me, it is an unnatural way of muscle gain and this is why the initial gain in size and strength is short lived as once you do the 6 weeks on, 6 weeks off you drop nearly 50% (on average depending on how much you rely on it) of your gained mass.  In addition to this, I proved many people wrong by gaining nearly 2 stone in 6 months during my rugby days when I played in the front row.  I was 17 stone 10lbs (112kg or ~250lbs) and I. WAS. JACKED!

I did it all naturally.  I was in the gym 4 hours a day, running 50-60 miles per week, intervals and eating ‘A SHIT LOAD’ which is a legitimate measure of volume.  I was consuming 10000 calories + a day.  It was a glorious time.  You can achieve anything with the correct nutrition and exercise. 

Anyway, I got measured up and took a standard strength test (consisting of 1 Rep Maxes on exercises like bench press, squat lift, dead lift etc) prior to the research beginning.  We then get measured up again in monthly increments to monitor any increases.  I had a sneak peak at mine…  Suffice to say there have been changes.  I knew there would be if I was on any supplements.  My body fat percentage has dropped 3.61% and my weight has increase by almost 4kg. 

My supplements include (I think!)

Fat burners which I need to take at certain times in the day (before breakfast and IF I take it a second time in a 24 hour period I should ensure I take it at least 5 hours later as it is quite a powerful mix.).  This leaves a real feeling of nausea. 

Creatine – naturally the body generates phosphor-creatine which help give muscle the energy required for anaerobic exercises such as sprinting, weight lifting, interval training etc.  The theory is to supply the muscle with more energy and you could do those extra few reps which will help increase strength and definition sooner rather than later.  Probably the supplement I would gun for most if I had to.  I must take this before any gym session.

Carbohydrate drink – this tastes atrocious!  Literally an offence every time this touches my lips.  Your taste buds are left like Poland in 1939….invaded for what seems like an eternity!  Infuriating!  The theory here is that carbs saturate your muscles much faster than protein do therefore you will get big quick!  I believe I am definitely on this as I am told to sip at this during a weights session.  Only two others have to do this in the subject group – obviously the guy on the placebo and the guy who is taking carbs as his only supplement. 

Finally, Protein shake.  I have had one or two shakes in the past and I will never forget the consistency and the hideous texture, not to mention the smell when you leave it in a shaker for a few hours.  God forbid the room being a little warmer than usual.  I am told to take this after a work out session.  The science behind protein is simple.  It is for growth and recovery.  Hair, nails, skin, muscle – all protein.  Whenever any of these are damaged, your body compensates by depositing proteins.  Obviously, up to a certain degree.  Giving an individual unfortunate enough to suffer from skin cancer a protein shake will do nothing but aggravate them.  I don’t mean cause more detriment to their condition, I mean they will get aggravated at your stupidity. 

To conclude, I believe that in order for these things to work, you really need a combination of the RIGHT things.  There are so many different forms of supplements with so many different brand names within each branch of the proverbial supplementation tree (brand names can be like twigs in the branch) that one could either get annoyed and not bother looking into the right stuff, waste money on things that don’t work or try everything all at once which could counteract certain supplements thus, money wasted.

Although I am involved in this research project, I still do not condone supplementation.  However, if you are keen on supplements then you will do well to consider the supplements I am on.  In addition you may want to look at separate recovery drinks which are packed with nitrates which help alleviate muscle soreness allowing you to do more. 

This is going to be a long 6 months.  I deduce that in time, my body will acclimatise to the barrage of supplements I am feeding on.  Thankfully I will not be in search of more forceful supplements if this was to happen.

Much love,

Jackson L.

No comments:

Post a Comment