Friday 8 June 2012

Immortal Technique

have recently been a total shit and not been up to my usual blogging ways and for this I can only offer my sincerest apologies.

Well, my esteemed readers, I have been stupendously busy. I have had a few things happen over the last few months which has detracted my usual musings/venting on our lovely virtual planet we call the 'interweb'.

The main change which has occurred is that we now have an additional flat mate in our tight space.  Of course, he has asked me to protect his identity, even though I get about 7 people coming this way, I feel it is best I respect his wishes. 
*It’s funny, despite the hysterically small traffic figures, I still get hate mail.  Hahaha.  Haterz be hatin’! *
So, we shall call him Simon.  In an admirable quest to change his life for the better Simon has come down to London to pursue a career path he feels is more befitting and I have given him all the support I believe I could have and will continue to do so. 
Having an extra person living here has made it a bit more difficult to enjoy luxuries such as blogging, what with trying to balance a job, studying, up keep of the flat and of course training.  But, as the legendary John Lennon once said –
Life happens when you make other plans.

True that.

So, I digress as I so often do.  There have been countless positives of having Simon here.  I won’t get into too much detail about it and bore you all half to sleep, as I’m sure I already have....WAKE UP!!!
Anyway, the main positive is that I have been enlightened to a whole different universe of music whenever we are driving in his car.  (Just managed to work in a positive there.  They call me ‘Positive J’)

There is, in fairness, a lot of shit that you have to sieve through, which I suppose you can say about anybody’s music collection.  However, the most outstanding artist that I have been exposed to is a rapper by the name of Immortal Technique. 

He is a rapper/activist who is of Afro-Peruvian decent.  Born in Lima, Peru he was raised in Harlem, New York and he is one hell of a rapper with a incredible diction and an inconceivable dexterity to rhyme words.  He has a powerful message to compliment his proficiency and this is essentially a call for  the lay person to wake the fuck up and understand what is happening in our world – behind the scenes so to speak.  Also, to appreciate that things aren’t what they seem. 
Unfortunately, and rather stupidly on my part, I have not yet got my hands on his older material but, notable tracks on his latest album, The Martyr include:
The Martyr
Rich Man’s World (1%)
Eyes In The Sky
Goonies
Black Vikings
Ultimas Parablas (This is one of those life changing speeches you see given in films. Power.)
Sign of the Times

It’s all deep stuff.  The album is awesome and if you’re reading this, I recommend you get your hands on it.  All the songs are on youtube.  Hard hitting.  Overwhelming.  Awesome.

Remember the name.  Immortal Technique. 

Much love,

Jackson L.

No comments:

Post a Comment