Wednesday 7 March 2012

A controversial opinion

I think that there is a long overdue apology in order for some of my readers who have actually even sent me emails questioning whether I am still in fact walking around on our beautiful Earth.  Well, I am alive and kicking and doing just fine!
I do apologise tremendously for being so off the radar.   I have been insanely busy.  Research is going well and I will update you all on that on a later blog…because I am sure you all want to know about it!
I do have rather a lot to talk about but the more I think about it I guess it is now considered old news.  You all have probably formulated your opinions and moved on and that’s kool.  I guess it serves me right for not updating in so long.
….Uh Happy New year by the way!  I just realised it is indeed my first blog of 2012 and what better way to start with a bit of controversy?!  Eh??  Ya bastards!
I would like to address several issues here.  There has of late, been many programmes on TV looking at how segregated communities in the UK are.  One area in particular is Bradford which has a population from many diverse origins; Afro-Caribbean, Asian and white and from different social statuses.  A series, Make Bradford British, documenting one person from each of these ethnic backgrounds (male and female) - who were born and raised in the UK but failed ‘The Government UK Citizenship test’ – was chosen to live together for a few weeks.  I believe it to be a rather positive and interesting social experiment as it is carried out before the all-seeing eyes of the British public and it is footage at its most raw.  This allows people who do observe to formulate proper opinions with a deeper understanding of how ‘their foreign neighbour’ may operate on a daily basis.  So far we are one episode in and I think it will get better. 
The important thing is though, it got me thinking more and more and I think it is important that I – as a Muslim man living in the UK hailing Britain from the Arab world – get these opinions across in any way I can. 
A few weeks ago I was walking en route to work and I stopped and watched a crowd of people launch a symphony verbal abuse at an Arab Muslim – my kinsmen – for holding a sizeable placard stating:
MAKE BRITAIN SHARIYAH
Now, living in the country that we do, we have several freedoms and rights and one of those rights is the freedom of speech.  I have always said – and I will say again – there is no such thing as ‘Freedom of Speech’.  I am of that philosophy as in public, despite having the right to your own opinions, you still need to be careful about what you say because you can still offend people.  Freedom of speech would entitle you to call an individual who is of a Negro persuasion a ‘nigger’.  This is a very derogatory word, it offends, and it therefore, should not be said.  However, a bigoted, intolerant, Nazi shithead could argue that it is well within their right to say that as it comes under freedom of speech, hence, in my opinion, this is a grossly paradoxical. 
Anyway, I deviate.  In between the moderate racism I was hearing, I was trying to gain better understanding of his want for a Shariyah Britain. 
Shariyah – This is the name given to the law under Islamic code.  Essentially it follows political, country, housing, tax, charity (etc) laws as it is stated in the Quran. 
If I am perfectly honest, he did look the type that may have just wanted there to be Shariyah law JUST because and ONLY because he was Muslim.  In my experience however, I am trying my best to not judge a book by its cover and I do strongly believe his heart was in the heart place.  He explained that he lives in fear.  He also went on to explain that this is his Britain as well and he is saying that Shariyah law would make Britain a safer, more economically stable country with low unemployment rates etc.  I am indeed, like many of you reading this sceptical, but I couldn’t help but think ‘what if?’  If nothing else, could he be right?  Would the death penalty act as a deterrent?  Would no alcohol and no gambling mean less violence in the streets?  If taxation was not a big deal and everyone did chip in (pay Zakat) would we be hit as hard in the recession?? Who knows?
Anyway, the more I thought about it the more I began to think that this guy is awfully brave, to the point of being stupid, for voicing his opinions publicly.  There are so many movements trying to get rid of ‘the foreigners’ who have stolen the native’s jobs, money, streets, women, houses and healthcare.  The likes of the National Front, English Defence League, Scottish Defence League who have also exercised their right to a freedom of speech to stop any progression towards changing their British law.  The law of their land.  The law it has always been and the law they have always understood.  I feel at this point I must reiterate that I am a Muslim man. I wholeheartedly understand why there are all these movements with such far right wing ideals. When something that you love comes under any threat from anything foreign you feel like you must defend it and I respect that.
I do not agree with the way that some of these people portray themselves though.  I think when any violence, rather than civil understanding through debate and discussion, is introduced you induce fear between these groups.  Fear due to lack of understanding leads to hatred because of cultural differences and this leads to racial hate and discrimination.  This occurs on both sides of the fence so I am not one of those people who exclaim “THE WHITE MAN IS THE DEVIL!”  They are both as guilty as each other. 
The National Front movements have had educated people speak up against what they believe is wrong in their country and I understand that but, their movement is tarnished because you get the ‘foot soldiers’ who commit violent attacks on innocent people with different coloured skin.  One cannot help being born with the colour of the skin!  One also cannot help being born in a foreign country, much like I was.  I was born in the UK and I embrace myself as British.  I was raised here.  I grew up here and I feel I integrated well here.  I have been presented with many opportunities which I try to take full advantage of and I have a fantastic life here.  I would never expect to see Britain change to a foreign way of life and so they should not!  We, the foreign people, are lucky to be in a country which has granted us asylum, a house for us to make into a home, benefits (if we need it), free healthcare and education.  Basically, we get hooked up!
In Islam we are taught to respect the laws of foreign land.  Britain is not a Muslim country and therefore, from a Muslim’s stand point, this is a foreign country.  We must respect the law of their land.  If British non-Muslim women went to Saudi Arabia (don’t ask me why….) they would be expected to cover up their hair and dress in a certain way.  The very least we can do – after being given so much – is adhere to their regulations, not be cheeky enough to try and change it!  By all means uphold your own cultural customs but don’t become a fundamentalist and try to get an entire country to observe to your principles. 

Much love,

Jackson L.

No comments:

Post a Comment